Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance
Date: 2005-07-29 20:46:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:35:32 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> > I have done that before actually, when the tablespace patch came out. I
> > was able to get almost 40% more throughput with half the drives than
> > striping all the disks together.
>
> That's not the figures you showed me. In your report last year it was 14%,
> not 40%.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'll elaborate. In the BOF at LWE-SF 2004, I did
report a 13% improvement but at the same time I also said I had not
quantified it as well as I would have liked and was still working on a
better physical disk layout. For LWE-Boston 2005, I did a little better
and reported 35% (and misquoted myself to say 40%) here in these slides:

http://developer.osdl.org/markw/presentations/lwebos2005bof.sxi

In that test I still had not separated the primary keys into separate
tablespaces. I would imagine there is more throughput to be gained by
doing that. I have the build scripts do that now, but again haven't
quite quantified it yet.

Mark