Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance
Date: 2005-07-29 19:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:00:44PM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:55:55 -0700
> Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:48:09 -0500

> > > I'm confused... why would it reduce the number of spindles? Is
> > > everything just striped right now? You could always s/RAID10/RAID0/.
> >
> > RAID10 requires a minimum of 4 devices per LUN, I think. At least 2
> > devices in a mirror, at least 2 mirrored devices to stripe.
> >
> > RAID0 wouldn't be any different than what I have now, except if I use
> > hardware RAID I can't stripe across controllers. That's treating LVM2
> > striping equal to software RAID0 of course.
>
> Oops, spindles was the wrong word to describe what I was losing. But I
> wouldn't be able to spread the reads/writes across as many spindles if I
> have any mirroring.

Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to say, but it seems like
it might still be worth trying my original idea of just turning all 80
disks into one giant RAID0/striped array and see how much more bandwidth
you get out of that. At a minimum it would allow you to utilize the
remaining spindles, which appear to be unused right now.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org