Re: Performance problems testing with Spamassassin

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Andrew McMillan" <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, "Matthew Schumacher" <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Performance problems testing with Spamassassin
Date: 2005-07-29 16:47:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Luke,

> work_mem = 131072 # min 64, size in KB

Incidentally, this is much too high for an OLTP application, although I don't
think this would have affected the test.

> shared_buffers = 16000 # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB
> each checkpoint_segments = 128 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB
> each effective_cache_size = 750000 # typically 8KB each
> fsync=false # turns forced synchronization on or off

Try changing:
wal_buffers = 256

and try Bruce's stop full_page_writes patch.

> I guess we see the real culprit here. Anyone surprised it's the WAL?

Nope. On high-end OLTP stuff, it's crucial that the WAL have its own
dedicated disk resource.

Also, running a complex stored procedure for each and every word in each
e-mail is rather deadly ... with the e-mail traffic our server at Globix
receives, for example, that would amount to running it about 1,000 times a
minute. It would be far better to batch this, somehow, maybe using temp
tables.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions