Re: Importing dump

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Jonathan Villa <jvilla(at)innovativesource(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Importing dump
Date: 2005-07-26 02:46:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:15:48AM -0500, Jonathan Villa wrote:
> I'm trying my chances here with PostgreSQL, I've used MySQL mostly...
>
> I did a pg_dumpall and now want to import the file...
>
> Where MySQL I can do mysql -u admin -p < dump.sql how I would I mimick this with
> PostreSQL?

See the "Backup and Restore" chapter of the documentation and the
manual page for psql:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/backup.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-psql.html

> The dump comes from 7.1 and I'm trying to import into 7.4
>
> Also, how can I dump a specific database?
> Example, with MySQL I can do mysqldump -u admin -p --database gforge > dump.sql

See the "Backup and Restore" chapter mentioned above and the
documentation for pg_dump:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-pgdump.html

--
Michael Fuhr