Re: Creating a database with psql

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Josef Springer <Josef(dot)Springer(at)JOOPS(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a database with psql
Date: 2005-07-20 10:05:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:28:23AM +0200, Josef Springer wrote:
> i want to automate the startup of my database. So i have to create first
> an user and a database, second the schema, all with psql. But how can i
> create a database with psql if no database exist ?

When you first install PostgreSQL, you run initdb to initialize a
cluster. This creates a few default databases and a database
superuser. Then you start the backend and make connections to it
using psql or some other client. See the "Server Administration"
part of the documentation for more information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/admin.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/