Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-19 19:16:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

The email below about FreeBSD's involvement in Google's Summer of Code
got me thinking; would there be value in trying to attract college
students to working on either PostgreSQL development, or using
PostgreSQL in projects? Even though we missed getting in on the summer
of code this year, ISTM that we could try targeting colleges,
professors, and students directly. When it comes to development, I'm
sure there's any number of TODO items that would make great coursework,
for all different levels of students. As for using PostgreSQL, perhaps
we could get database classes together with projects that could use
help.

Thoughts?

----- Forwarded message from Murray Stokely <murray(at)freebsdmall(dot)com> -----

The FreeBSD Project is pleased to announce its participation in the
Google "Summer of Code" program designed to introduce students to open
source software development.

The FreeBSD Project received over 350 applications, amongst which 18
projects have been selected for funding.

Unfortunately, due to the limited number of spots available, we were
unable to fund many first rate applications. However, we encourage
students to work together with us all year round. The FreeBSD Project
is always willing to help mentor students learn more about operating
system development through our normal community mailing lists and
development forums. Contributing to an open source software project
is a valuable component of a computer science education and great
preparation for a career in software development.