BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (ß )

From: "Marcus Raphelt" <marcus(at)raphelt(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (&szlig; )
Date: 2005-07-19 13:17:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1775
Logged by: Marcus Raphelt
Email address: marcus(at)raphelt(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: latest
Operating system: WinXP (dev), Win2000 (server)
(&szlig;)
Details:

Hi,

I currently have a iso_8859_1 app and included the opengeodb tables to have
a set of german cities and zipcodes.

http://opengeodb.sourceforge.net/index.php?FrontPage_en
I downloaded this dump:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/opengeodb/opengeodb-0.2.3c-UTF8-postgres.
zip?download

They offer a Postgresql dump that can be imported without hassle, but is in
UTF8. I did several attempts using convert() to convert the city names to
iso. It works, and it also works fine on german umlauts (), but it
seems like convert() does NOT convert the german "" / sharp s /
&szlig;...

cheers,
marcus