Re: Backups

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Philip Hallstrom <postgresql(at)philip(dot)pjkh(dot)com>
Cc: "John J(dot) Urbaniak" <jjurban(at)attglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backups
Date: 2005-07-15 17:03:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 09:09:06 -0700,
Philip Hallstrom <postgresql(at)philip(dot)pjkh(dot)com> wrote:
> >Is it ok simply to zip the contents of E:\PGSQLDATA to a zip file and
> >store this file on a CD or DVD? I am sure that the data will not exceed
> >50 Megabytes, so it should fit on a CD.
>
> if the data won't exceed 50megs I would add step 1a just so you have the
> data in a format other than the native postgresql format (say in case for
> some freaky reason your machine crashes and *no one* has a copy of that
> version of postgres... crazy, but if you have the space...)

The platform (mostly processor type) should be the same and some build
options also need to be the same (in particular integer datetimes) or
you will have some problems with the binary data. With just 50MB, using
pgdump is going to be safer if you don't control the platform and what
build options were used.