Re: Libpq driver: thread problem

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Anoop Kumar <anoopk(at)pervasive-postgres(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Libpq driver: thread problem
Date: 2005-07-14 16:16:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dave Page wrote:
> > The main issue with the flag, as I remember, is to allow multiple
> > threads to open libpq connections. If you don't do that, you
> > don't need
> > the flag.
>
> In which case it definitely needs fixing. Which may be a non-trivial
> task as pthreads on Windows is not currently used by PostgreSQL, and
> didn't want to play last time I looked at it :-( However...
>
> I did look at this very briefly before speaking to Magnus. The first
> problem I ran into was that configure was insisting that posix signals
> were needed to enable thread safety. Before I spend lots of time looking
> at the code do you know if it is safe for me to assume our signal
> emaulation will do that job in all the right places? If so, I guess it's
> just a case of fixing the pthread detection and linker flags.

Ewe. I bet we added that test program _after_ we got threads working on
Win32. That program, and the flags detection configure checks have made
threads configuration almost fool-proof, so I don't think we should
change any of that.

As far as the Win32 API, I am unsure. Let me see if I can hack up
thread_test.c to use libpq/pthread-win32.c to see if I can get that
working.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us