Re: Final cleanup of SQL:1999 references

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Final cleanup of SQL:1999 references
Date: 2005-07-14 08:03:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2005 18:01 schrieb Simon Riggs:
> This doc patch replaces all inappropriate references to SQL:1999 when it
> is used as if it were the latest (and/or still valid) SQL standard.
>
> SQL:2003 is used in its place.

I don't necessarily consider this search and replace to be appropriate. All
information for users looking for SQL:1999 compliance information is now
lost. Also, phrases like "This is conforming to SQL:2003." give the wrong
impression that it is not conforming to SQL:1999. I think it would be less
confusing in these cases to simply write "This is conforming to the SQL
standard." and then mention in the appendix that we consider SQL:2003 to be
the baseline.

--
Peter Eisentraut