dbt2 & opteron performance

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: dbt2 & opteron performance
Date: 2005-07-12 19:47:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm starting to get results with dbt2 on a 4-way opteron system and
wanted to share what I've got so far since people have told me in the
past that this architecture is more interesting than the itanium2 that
I've been using.

This 4-way has 8GB of memory and four Adaptec 2200s controllers attached
to 80 spindles (eight 10-disk arrays). For those familiar with the
schema, here is a visual of the disk layout:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/layout-6.html

Results for a 600 warehouse run are there:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/6/

The tuning is a still a bit off, but feel free to let me know if there
are any issues anyway.

Mark