Re: Must be owner to truncate?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Must be owner to truncate?
Date: 2005-07-09 20:50:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:43:52PM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Could the new file not be made to cover the next available 1GB of file
> space, that is a new physical file ?
>
> This could made using of same kind of machinery my proposal for
> concurrent index does (i.e. locks that forbid putting new tuples in
> certain tuple ranges)

I think your proposals are too "handwavy", but there is a similar
mechanism outlined for on-line index reorganizarion, whereby new tuples
can be inserted concurrently with the reorganization, being stored on a
"spill area". See

@inproceedings{DBLP:conf/sigmod/ZouS96,
author = {C. Zou and B. Salzberg},
editor = {H. V. Jagadish and Inderpal Singh Mumick},
title = {On-line Reorganization of Sparsely-populated B+trees},
booktitle = {Proceedings of the 1996 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on
Management of Data, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 4-6, 1996},
publisher = {ACM Press},
year = {1996},
pages = {115-124},
bibsource = {DBLP, \url{http://dblp.uni-trier.de}}