Re: Disable WAL backup pages when fsync is off

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disable WAL backup pages when fsync is off
Date: 2005-07-04 01:53:00
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > The following patch disables WAL backup pages when fsync is off.
>
> This is a good idea why?

There is no need to write backup pages if fsync is off. Our TODO has:

* Turn off after-change writes if fsync is disabled

If fsync is off, there is no purpose in writing full pages to WAL

Basically, with fsync off, you are saying you don't care about crash
recovery, so why write those pages?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us