Some Tip: take care to run routine vacuum as superuser ...

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Some Tip: take care to run routine vacuum as superuser ...
Date: 2005-07-03 21:23:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi folks,

here's some new tip for the maillist footers:

"if vacuum (from some scripts) doesnt seem to work, have a
look at the logfile - you're probably using the wrong login"

I just had to learn that's a nice pitfall, if you're trying to do
routine vacuum from some php scripts and logging in as someone who's
not the table owner ... I wondered why the db doesnt get faster, but
when vacuum'ing manually or from pgadmin, I had a gread speedup.
Enabling verbose query logging showed up the problem.

... yeah, yeah, ashes on my head ... I'm not getting younger ... ;-)

cu
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service
phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
Realtime Forex/Stock Exchange trading powered by postgresSQL :))
http://www.fxignal.net/