Planner constants for RAM resident databases

From: Emil Briggs <emil(at)baymountain(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Planner constants for RAM resident databases
Date: 2005-07-02 01:59:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm working with an application where the database is entirely resident in RAM
(the server is a quad opteron with 16GBytes of memory). It's a web
application and handles a high volume of queries. The planner seems to be
generating poor plans for some of our queries which I can fix by raising
cpu_tuple_cost. I have seen some other comments in the archives saying that
this is a bad idea but is that necessarily the case when the database is
entirely resident in RAM?

Emil