Re: Populating huge tables each day

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: Ben-Nes Yonatan <da(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Populating huge tables each day
Date: 2005-06-28 01:55:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:05:42PM -0700, Dann Corbit wrote:

> [...]

Don't ass-u-me; he said he'd be deleting from the main table, not
truncating.

> Is there an alternative I do not know of that is equally fast?

Nope, truncate is undoubtedly faster. But it also means you would have
downtime as you mentioned. If it were me, I'd probably make the
trade-off of using a delete inside a transaction.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org