Re: Web application development on Win32, deployment on Linux

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
To: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Web application development on Win32, deployment on Linux
Date: 2005-06-27 15:50:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:59:42PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I currently maintain a website which is deployed on LAMP, but
> > it is developed on Windows (WAMP?). I'm considering moving
> > both to use PostgreSQL. I'm curious as to whether others are
> > following a similar development/deployment model and if so,
> > what pitfalls/gotchas they have found. For example, I
> > refresh production tables on a weekly basis from the
> > development database. Linux MySQL is case-sensitive about
> > table names but Windows isn't, so I have to modify table
> > names like 'whatsnew' on Windows to 'WhatsNew' before I can
> > run the reload script on Linux.
>
> [snip replication - can't answer that]

Regarding replication, the Slony-I guys state that their project is not
yet ported to Windows, but giving that there is a pthread library for
Windows (which is about the only thing it lacks, apparently) then it
should be possible to port it rather easily. I'm sure they'd welcome it
if somebody were to do the legwork. I know of several people who would
be very glad to have Win32 Slony-I.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"La Primavera ha venido. Nadie sabe como ha sido" (A. Machado)