Re: Why is checkpoint so costly?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is checkpoint so costly?
Date: 2005-06-21 21:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro, Tom,

> bgwriter_delay | 200
> bgwriter_maxpages | 100
> bgwriter_percent | 1
>
> Maybe it should be more aggressive.

Yeah, a bgwriter progression is running now. I don't expect it to make
much difference. Most of sync impact is syncing the FS cache, which the
bgwriter doesn't touch.

> Another thing to blame is the dump-whole-pages-after-checkpoint
> business. Maybe the load you are seeing is not completely during
> checkpoint, but right after it as well. How do you tell from the
> results that the checkpoint is complete?

I can't relate that to the performance numbers, unfortunately. I think
that the paging is probably the cause, but I don't know what to do about
it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus