Re: Set timezone in ODBC

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Walker Jed S <Jed_Walker(at)cable(dot)comcast(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set timezone in ODBC
Date: 2005-06-10 13:56:10
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Greg Campbell <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
wrote:

> Curious,
> I did a brief experiment on the PostgreSQL server
> with psql without ODBC
> inverviening
> .
> Something like
> SET TIME ZONE INTERVAL '08:00' HOUR TO MINUTE;
> SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS TEST_TIME;
> SET TIME ZONE DEFAULT;
> SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AS TEST_TIME;
>
> It did return timestamps that were marked as 8 hrs.
> different.
>
> I am wondering if ODBC is just not passing the
> adjusted time. I don't
> know why it would be biased in one direction
> (message to server being
> adjusted, but data coming back not ???)
> Is your field of 'timestamp with timezone' or just
> timestamp?

Maybe this is just too blindingly obvious, but I
haven't seen it mentioned in this thread: why not just
issue a "set timezone" command from your client
session? Has that been tried, and with failure?

> Walker, Jed S wrote:
>
> > We don't want to change the timezone on the
> server.
> >
> > We could have the client send the timestamp with
> timezone but without
> > setting the time (using set timezone to) then they
> get back the
> > timestamps in the server timezone which they don't
> want.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail