Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.

From: "Gevik babakhani" <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "'Magnus Hagander'" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date: 2005-06-08 20:15:37
Lists: pgsql-www

Okay I guess the discussion has taken life. This means that the whole idea
of a good kb is important for all of us.

- keeping the kb up to date and adding content would never work without the
contribution of many who are worked hard to keep this great software as it
is today. So I think a kb should be easy to use and administer yet
manageable to the needs of the developers. I think having the WYSIWSG style
editing component would benefit the most. I would like to see the kb in a
way which any one who considers contributing would able to concentrate on
contributing itself and not worrying about HTML and tags and other
"unimportant" things. To that any contribution and writing should be review
and validated before it can reach to the "public"

- Regarding keeping everything in the same site:
The way I imagine, I must agree with Magnus. Creating yet another sites
means having more administrative responsibilities, this would result
fragmenting the current consistency and make updates and upgrades more of
pain than fun. Using the current framework and "borrowing" idea's from other
sites is the way to go these days. You would agree with me to say that our
future KB must be invented somewhere else on this planet.

There is suggestions to use "tidy". I am going to check it also.

- About the treeview. I have made some experiments with the treeview. After
trying many of these components, I have been pointed to one called xtree.
This is the best so far. It is dynamically loading and expanding. You do not
need to generate all the tree-nodes at ones. After expanding some parent
node the child nodes get dynamically downloaded and created. I have tested
the tree with the current source files. As you might now, the current source
tree is made of many files and sub directories. The xtree did not have any
problem creating and loading of the nodes both in IE and FireFox. Netscape
has to be tested yet.

- About the multilingual: I must agree with Josh. This is rather a sensitive
point. I personally think you won't be able to translate all the kb content
to different languages. Most of the time there would be no need yet
translating everything would be overkill in functionality. We could make a
survey to see how many people really have the NEED to read the kb in
languages other than English.

- The searching: a kb would be no kb if there isn't a dependable search
facility. In the past mailing that I have communicated with Dave, I
understood that there is a good search system "search.postgresql.org" that
we can use.

Regards,
Gevik.