Re: process hangs when converting sgml documentation to PDF

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: process hangs when converting sgml documentation to PDF
Date: 2005-06-07 17:57:16
Lists: pgsql-docs

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excellent :-( How about we discuss again whether to move to XML?

You can already use "XML" today. Go to doc/src/sgml and type "make
testxml" and you'll get HTML documentation built using XSLT
stylesheets.

The bad news, however, is that using the XSLT toolchain the state of the
print-output-generating tools is even worse. FOP crashes left and
right, PassiveTeX is unmaintained and incredibly hard to set up, and
the rest costs big cash. In fact, the only reason the DSSSL toolchain
is still barely maintained is to generate print output.

> AFAIR the problem was that there wasn't a way to include certain
> parts of the documentation depending on whether some symbol was
> defined or not. Is that still true? Furthermore, do we use that
> feature and how, and is there a way to work around the problem?

The way around that would be to use the profiling feature of the XSLT
stylesheets. But the way it's set up right now, storing the files in
SGML and converting them to XML on the fly, works out just as well.

--
Peter Eisentraut