how to calculate checkpoint_segments

From: Himanshu Baweja <himanshubaweja(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to calculate checkpoint_segments
Date: 2005-05-11 15:36:25
Lists: pgsql-general

i am trying to optimise postgres 8 running on a system.... is there any way to know how wht should be the value of checkpoint_segments...

i always keep fync = false since my server is fully reliable....

increasing checkpoint_segments degrade the performace while checkpointing as it will have a whole lot of dirty buffers to write.....

decreasing it will degrade overall performance as it will keep on doing checkpointing again and again.....

is there any parameters using which i can determine the value of checkpoint_segments.... like how much data my application is generating etc etc....

thx
Himanshu