Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-05-05 21:10:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

odbc was just an example ... I'm not looking to include anything
arbitrarily, as there will have to be some coordination done with the
individual developers from at tagging perspective anyway ...

> Commenting more broadly on the whole thread, I think that more tarballs
> is a bad thing. I already get emails (both to webmaster and privately)
> from people not understanding what to download - more files will only
> make that worse.

Going this route will eliminate alot of the confusion, and probably result
in us not needing the seperate postgresql-<split>-<release>.tar.gz files
themselves, since there won't be anything left to put into the side files

postgresql-opt would disappear and be replaced by:
plperl.tar.gz
plpython.tar.gz
pltcl.tar.gz
etc

Josh has already proposed next step after PLs being the various contrib
modules, so we'd have a:

dbsize.tar.gz
btree_gist.tar.gz
etc

The end result wouldn't have enough in the *core* module to warrant a
split-dist anymore, since all of what would be left would be what is
required for a build ...

Plus, also with what Josh has suggested, we'd also end up with a:

postgresql-WTKS.tar.gz (with the kitchen sink) file that contained
everything for those that really wanted to download "it all" ...

So, there would be no confusion for what to download, since it would all
be laid out for you ... you want a server with plperl, you download the
server and the plperl tar file ... you already have a server, but want to
add plpython, you download the plpython tar file ...

----