Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-04-30 13:13:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Kris Jurka wrote:
> One thing that definitely would be nice would be to be able to combine
> funds from various sponsors for various features. Alone a company can't
> spring for it, but by pooling resources it could get done. This is a lot
> tougher to coordinate and unless there is a complete spec in place
> different sponsors will pull in different directions. Other bounty type
> schemes don't seem to produce results, largely from a lack of cash.
> (Here's $500 for two weeks of work).
>
> Anyone care to shed some light on how it works now?

I can tell you how I have done it. If a company contacts me to add a
feature, I find the person I think is most qualified, check their
availability, and then get them in touch with the donor. In some cases,
I coordinate the work, and actually funnel the money and guarantee that
the developer will be paid. I can do that because I often have an
existing relationship with the funding company and the developer.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us