Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-04-30 03:42:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I've deliberately let the dust settle slightly on this.
>
> One thing that might help is a more open sponsorship "clearing house".
> Example (not meant as a bid, but just to illustrate): the JDBC driver
> needs a scanner overhaul - it breaks on dollar quoting and a bunch of
> other stuff. I could do that work (as could others, of course) but I
> don't have time, unless someone buys some of my professional time.
> Someone might want to do just that, but how would they find me?
>
> Regarding the secret code stuff - I predict that it will quickly bite
> whoever does it, unless they are extremely lucky.

Let me add that we really do want these companies to succeed.

For me, it is all a matter of meeting the company's expectations. If a
company wants to add a closed-source feature to PostgreSQL, that's fine,
but if they work on a features and eventually want it integrated into
the main code, I don't want that to fail and have them be disappointed.
The same goes for duplicated effort --- if they don't wnat it to happen,
I want to help them prevent it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us