Re: [proposal] protocol extension to support loadable stream filters

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [proposal] protocol extension to support loadable stream filters
Date: 2005-04-29 00:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
[2005-04-28 10:00] Tom Lane said:
| Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org> writes:
| >   Would it be sane to recognize a specific PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR
| > to enter the filter-negotiation process?  PG_PROTOCOL_MINOR
| > would then be used to lookup and call a ptr to the filter's
| > create() in CreateStreamFilter...
|
| Looks reasonable enough to me ...

  Now, the hard part...where should this code live?  I'm thinking a
src/transport directory seems sensible.

  StreamFilter.[ch] will contain the base StreamFilter along with
various utility functions.  StreamFilter implementations will reside
in their own subdir.

  src/include/transport/StreamFilter.h
  src/transport/StreamFilter.c
  src/transport/zlib/...