Re: [proposal] protocol extension to support loadable stream filters

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [proposal] protocol extension to support loadable stream filters
Date: 2005-04-29 00:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[2005-04-28 10:00] Tom Lane said:
| Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org> writes:
| > Would it be sane to recognize a specific PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR
| > to enter the filter-negotiation process? PG_PROTOCOL_MINOR
| > would then be used to lookup and call a ptr to the filter's
| > create() in CreateStreamFilter...
|
| Looks reasonable enough to me ...

Now, the hard part...where should this code live? I'm thinking a
src/transport directory seems sensible.

StreamFilter.[ch] will contain the base StreamFilter along with
various utility functions. StreamFilter implementations will reside
in their own subdir.

src/include/transport/StreamFilter.h
src/transport/StreamFilter.c
src/transport/zlib/...