Re: Why is this system swapping?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>, "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why is this system swapping?
Date: 2005-04-28 00:02:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg,

> In fact I think it's generally superior to having a layer like pgpool
> having to hand off all your database communication. Having to do an extra
> context switch to handle every database communication is crazy.

Although, one of their issues is that their database connection pooling is
per-server. Which means that a safety margin of pre-allocated connections
(something they need since they get bursts of 1000 new users in a few
seconds) has to be maintained per server, increasing the total number of
connections.

So a pooling system that allowed them to hold 100 free connections centrally
rather than 10 per server might be a win.

Better would be getting some of this stuff offloaded onto database replication
slaves.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus