PAM documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, rasputnik(at)hellooperator(dot)net
Subject: PAM documentation
Date: 2005-04-27 16:03:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > Mention that PAM requires the user already exist in the database, per
> > Dick Davies.
>
> I don't recall exactly what Dick suggested, but the patch as applied
> seems like fairly useless verbiage. Exactly which of our other auth
> methods allow users who *don't* exist in the database to log in?
> And why would anyone find it surprising that this does not happen?

Can someone comment if having to create the database user account to use
PAM is something that people forget? Is there increased confusion
because PAM is usually used for the operating system usernames?

Attached is the addition I made to the docs recently. Is it useful?

Here is the email that prompted the addition:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2005-03/msg00189.php

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size