Re: possible TODO: read-only tables, select from indexes only.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible TODO: read-only tables, select from indexes only.
Date: 2005-04-23 23:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 06:27:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> While I don't say it's impossible to do, I do think that the work and
> semantic ugliness involved would outweigh the possible benefits. In
> particular, there are other, more transparent ways of doing #1.

One idea that may be closer to reality might be implementing heaps that
behave as indexes (or indexes that behave as heaps), or clustered
indexes as some other database call them; the main idea being that at
the leaf nodes of the index, the whole heap tuple resides instead of
only a CTID.

One problem I see with that approach is the maximum tuple size ... our
current btree index code can't handle tuples bigger than (BLCKSZ/3)
IIRC, some 2 kB.

"Vivir y dejar de vivir son soluciones imaginarias.
La existencia está en otra parte" (Andre Breton)