Re: Killing Processes

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Killing Processes
Date: 2005-04-23 20:43:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 02:00:11PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> In the last exciting episode, mike(at)fuhr(dot)org (Michael Fuhr) wrote:
> >
> > kill usually sends TERM by default, not HUP.
> >
> > (I say "usually" only because I haven't personally examined every
> > implementation of kill in existence. Every one I've used sends
> > TERM by default and I haven't heard of any that work otherwise.)
>
> The only "normative" standard that would seem meaningful would be
> POSIX. A quick "google" doesn't find anything relevant there.

Yeah, I meant to check that. My quick google yielded the following:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/kill.html

"The sig argument is the value specified by the -s option, - signal_number
option, or the - signal_name option, or by SIGTERM, if none of these options
is specified."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/