Re: plperl user function

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plperl user function
Date: 2005-04-22 12:29:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > This leaves me with two questions.
> > 1) Why can I not use "use strict;" or "use warnings;" as they are
> > apparently good perl programming practice. I say apparently
> > because if you remember I started learning this language 3 days
> > ago and must be considered a neophyte. :-)

> You can't use "use" instruction for security reason. All disk access
> are denied and use need a disk access.
>
> I think you need to use plperlu.

Yes. That fixed my use problems. I am not sure I like the idea of using an
untrusted language. I wonder if it causes a potential security issue.

> 2) What is wrong with the use of RETURN?

According to Michael (whose email I can't access at the moment) it has to be
lowercase. I never dreamed Perl would be case sensitive but after changing
the case, voila! :-)

> > Another question: Is there an issue with using the untrusted perl
> > language?
>
> IIRC you have to be a postgresql superuser (postgres) to execute an
> untrusted language function.

I just tested the untrusted function using a normal user and it worked.

> > If the code is tested and working is there any real reason to
> > continue to have "use strict;" and "use warnings;" in the function?
>
> Only for manageability in the future.

Hmmm well I have this gut feeling that it is better to use a trusted language
than an untrusted one but I have no idea if that is supported by fact. My
inclination is that now that the function is working and tested that I should
comment out the two "use" commands and recreate the function with the trusted
version.

Kind Regards,
Keith