Re: Question on REINDEX

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Tambet Matiisen" <t(dot)matiisen(at)aprote(dot)ee>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bill Chandler" <billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-perform" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question on REINDEX
Date: 2005-04-19 15:57:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tambet,

> Hmm, thanks for a tip. BTW, is output of
>
> select count(1), sum(relpages) from pg_class where relkind in

Well, if you do that for all databases in the cluster, it's the number you
start with. However, setting FSM_pages to that would be assuming that you
excpected 100% of the rows to be replaced by UPDATES or DELETEs before you
ran VACUUM. I generally run VACUUM a little sooner than that.

See the end portion of:
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

--
Josh Berkus