cost of empty fields

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: cost of empty fields
Date: 2005-04-15 14:22:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi folks,

we've got an quite large table with 17 columns and now >15k rows.
The table works also as an journal will continously grow day by day.
Man of the columns (mostly text) aren't needed anymore if the tuple
has reached a certain age.
So I thought about clearing the unnecessary fields of old tuples
to save resources. Does it bring any performance improvement ?

Of I could splitt off this table an working- an archive- table
and map them together in some views - someday I probably *will*
do it - but our applications are not yet ready for this.

thx
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service

phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
cellphone: +49 174 7066481