Re: BUG #1547: CREATE TYPE AS error

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Diego Cattelan <netmaniac(at)libero(dot)it>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1547: CREATE TYPE AS error
Date: 2005-04-11 15:29:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:54:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > In the following message, the OP says that CREATE TYPE works if he
> > installs PostgreSQL as a service but it doesn't work if he installs
> > PostgreSQL as a program (can anybody think of why this would make
> > a difference?).
>
> I found it just about impossible to believe ;-)
>
> I have seen people make such reports because they mistakenly connected
> to some other server entirely while trying to test one of the two
> supposedly similar installations. If the other server is of an old
> version then it might not have CREATE TYPE AS, for instance.

Yeah, that's why I asked the OP for details on how to reproduce the
problem, but apparently he's not interested in investigating that
possibility ("I resent the implication in your emails that I am
some stupid user who does't [sic] know what he is doing").

It looks like CREATE TYPE AS was added in 7.3, so if your hypothesis
is correct then he'd be connecting to 7.2 or older.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/