Re: What are the consequences of a bad database design (never seen that before !)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Jinane Haddad <jinanehaddad(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What are the consequences of a bad database design (never seen that before !)
Date: 2005-04-11 10:28:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:39:13AM +0000, Jinane Haddad wrote:
> My question is with such database, what are the lomg term consequences or
> can we determinate them. I know that the querys will become slower, and the
> database will grow more quickly ... And a lot of information will not be
> trust wise ....

Personally, I've never actually gone so far as to effect this on a
large scale. But sometimes when something is screwed up I create the
new structure and then create a VIEW so other parts don't notice. Then
the only bits you need to change are the bits that change the table.

The main problem I find is these applications don't check for errorss
or use transactions properly. Hence adding records sometimes fails and
the program never notices. Ooops.

As for long term effects, the value of your data is reduced to
maintainence and due to possible errors...