BUG #1591: BETWEEN NULL AND NULL causes crash

From: "Michael Williamson" <michael(dot)williamson(at)caseware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1591: BETWEEN NULL AND NULL causes crash
Date: 2005-04-07 19:36:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1591
Logged by: Michael Williamson
Email address: michael(dot)williamson(at)caseware(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
Operating system: Windows 2000
Details:

Hello,

I have the following query:

SELECT * FROM Entities
WHERE NULL IS NULL OR (EntityNo BETWEEN NULL AND COALESCE(NULL,NULL))

This causes one of two results: postmaster crashes or goes into an infinite
loop. The reason I have such a strange query is because values are filled
in from a dialog. It looks more like:

SELECT * FROM Entities
WHERE %p1 IS NULL OR (EntityNo BETWEEN %p1 AND COALESCE(%p2,%p1))

This query executes ok on other dbs (mssql, mysql) and returns the correct
result (all records). I can fix it for postgre by doing:

SELECT * FROM Entities
WHERE NULL IS NULL OR (EntityNo BETWEEN NULL AND COALESCE(NULL,NULL,''))

But none the less nothing should make it loop infinitely or crash.

Thanks