Re: How to copy from Table to table

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: joseph antonyraj <josephtonyraj(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to copy from Table to table
Date: 2005-04-03 03:44:38
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-general

[Originally sent to pgsql-committers; I'm replying to pgsql-general.]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:20:02AM -0800, joseph antonyraj wrote:

> I need your help to copy a table from a table through copy command
> using PostGresql command. Just for your information, both the tables
> will exists and will overwrite as on requirement.

What do you mean by "overwrite"? Do you want to replace the entire
table? Or do you want to keep existing records, add new records,
and update (overwrite) records that match some condition?

If you want to replace the entire table, then you can use TRUNCATE
or DELETE to empty it, then INSERT ... SELECT to insert the results
of a query. Another possibility would be to DROP the table and use
CREATE TABLE AS or SELECT INTO, but then you'd have to recreate any
indexes, constraints, triggers, etc.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/