Re: Faster install-sh in C

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster install-sh in C
Date: 2005-03-25 23:05:02
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, what is 'install' doing for us that 'cp' and 'chmod' would not
> > already do?
>
> Quite a lot of things, such as coping with busy target files --- not too
> important for headers, but very important for executables and shlibs.
>
> We might be able to get away with this for just the headers, though,
> and that's certainly the bulk of the install work now.

Here is my next version of the patch that uses 'cp' and 'chmod' to
install multiple header files rather than 'install'.

I moved the file modes into variables so any changes are propogated to
src/include/Makefile.

This is 20 times faster than what we have now, 8 seconds vs 0.40 seconds.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2.8 KB