Re: Faster install-sh in C

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster install-sh in C
Date: 2005-03-25 23:12:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We might be able to get away with this for just the headers, though,
>> and that's certainly the bulk of the install work now.

> Here is my next version of the patch that uses 'cp' and 'chmod' to
> install multiple header files rather than 'install'.

> I moved the file modes into variables so any changes are propogated to
> src/include/Makefile.

> This is 20 times faster than what we have now, 8 seconds vs 0.40 seconds.

I like it. Given that we are installing into directories we'd have just
created ourselves, which should have no extraneous files in them, a lot
of the objections one might raise go away.

Why don't you go ahead and apply that to HEAD for the time being, even
if we end up replacing it later? Might as well start saving developers'
time immediately.