Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Karim Nassar <karim(dot)nassar(at)NAU(dot)EDU>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time
Date: 2005-03-25 17:38:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Karim,

> I guess I was wondering if there is other general tuning advice for such
> large table indexes such as increasing statistics, etc.

Well, your index use problem is being explained by Tom, Stephan and Simon;
basically your FKed data types are incompatible for index use purposes so the
system *can't* use an index while loading.

If you're going with the drop/load/recreate option, then I'd suggest
increasing work_mem for the duration. Hmmm ... or maintenance_work_mem?
What gets used for FK checks? Simon?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions