Re: relid and relname

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Edson Vilhena de Carvalho <edson_jvc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: relid and relname
Date: 2005-03-25 05:21:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:01:23PM -0300, Edson Vilhena de Carvalho wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new guy from Portugal

Bem-vindo!

> Can anyone tell me what is a relid, a relname and
> schemaname data outputs resulting from the SQL: select
> * from pg_stat_all_tables;

relid = object ID (oid) of the relation (table)
relname = name of the relation (table)
schemaname = name of the relation's (table's) schema

In the system catalogs "relation" doesn't always refer to a table,
but in pg_stat_all_tables it does (pg_stat_all_tables is a view
that shows only tables).

See the "Data Definition" chapter in the documentation for more
information about tables and schemas.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/ddl.html

> There are also other data outputs that I don't
> understand but they are probably related:
> indexrelid (oid)
> indexrelname (name)

indexrelid = object ID (oid) of the index
indexrelname = name of the index

See the "Indexes" chapter in the documentation for more information
about indexes.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/indexes.html

Studying the "System Catalogs" chapter might also be useful.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/catalogs.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/