Re: linux question might be bad forum for it.

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: linux question might be bad forum for it.
Date: 2005-03-19 01:19:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Friday 18 March 2005 3:59 pm, Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I have a Redhat AS4 server I set up just for postgres and it has
> thus far been extremely excellent.
>
> I am getting to the final stages of my conversion from MSSQL and I
> want to make sure I am doing things correctly.
>
> I wanted to be able to use VNC for remote admin (is this the best
> tool?)
For a dedicated PG server SSH is the best remote tool. It's a server -
it doesn't need to run a GUI. Save the memory and CPU for its real
purpose. VNC can place a heavy load on a machine (worse on a Windows
server than *nix but still...).

> The other concerns I have are making sure I have a good backup
> (that I can restore) and a regular vacuum. I have been following
> threads and have seen the mention of no need to do a Vacuum
> verbose. What are the best tools for doing the auto vacuum and
> backup. I have the Linux box and also will have local windows boxes
> where I can set up programs to do automated SQL tasks.

Read up on pg_autovacuum for vacuuming.

Start with pg_dumpall for regular backups - filesystem backups are not
sufficient. Then if you want, look into the new features in 8.x that
allow you to do continuous on-line backups:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup-online.html

Scheduled tasks are probably best handled from a *nix machine -
perhaps the server itself. The cron+script+psql combo can go a long
way.

Cheers,
Steve