BUG #1540: Enhancement request: 'ambiguous' column reference in psql

From: "Richard Neill" <postgresql(at)richardneill(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1540: Enhancement request: 'ambiguous' column reference in psql
Date: 2005-03-13 07:51:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1540
Logged by: Richard Neill
Email address: postgresql(at)richardneill(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 8.01
Operating system: Linux
psql
Details:

Dear Postgresql team,

I have a small suggestion, which isn't quite a bug, but where psql throws an
error which it could in principle recover from. These occur when a column
reference is ambiguous, but isn't really, because of information supplied in
the join.

Here is an example, which I just tested in 8.01.

These are the database tables:
----------------------------------
tbl_instruments:
instrument character varying
priceband smallint

----------------------------------
tbl_prices:
priceband smallint
pounds double precision
-----------------------------------

This query fails:
------------------------------------
SELECT instrument,priceband,pounds FROM tbl_instruments,tbl_prices WHERE
tbl_instruments.priceband=tbl_prices.priceband;

ERROR: column reference "priceband" is ambiguous
-----------------------------------

This query succeeds:
SELECT instrument,tbl_instruments.priceband,pounds FROM
tbl_instruments,tbl_prices WHERE
tbl_instruments.priceband=tbl_prices.priceband;

I think that the first query ought to succeed, since although priceband is
ambiguous (it could mean either tbl_prices.priceband or
tbl_instruments.priceband), the information in the WHERE clause means that
they are explicitly equal, and so it doesn't matter which one we use.

Thank you very much for all your work - Postgresql is really useful to me.

Richard