Calling stored functions in executeBatch

From: Guy Rouillier <guy-rouillier(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Calling stored functions in executeBatch
Date: 2005-03-12 00:21:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I've browsed the archives and understand that I am not supposed to
submit SELECT statements in batch. I'm converting some code from Oracle
that invokes stored procedures via batch (for high volume inserts.)
I've got the stored proc converted, but invoking in batch using "select
my_proc(x,y,z)" produces the predictable "result not expected", even
though my stored proc returns VOID.

Is there any way I can absorb the return value from the select to
prevent this error? I'd like to avoid rewriting this code as I want it
to continue to run with Oracle until I successfully sell the conversion
idea. I'm able to do this so far by changing the SQL statements to be

INVOKE + "my_proc(x,y,z)"

and then just setting INVOKE to either "call" or "select" for Oracle and
PostgreSQL, respectively. Will I run into the same problem if I change
these SQL statements to use the call escape format?

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier