Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-09 22:54:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:41:44AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:55:09 -0600,
> David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:54:03AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > > On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:57:51 -0600,

> > [Correction as a PS. I did a "g" reply for this reply and it still
> > skipped you. I can't see the header at this time, but perhaps you have
> > set your header to do this?]

> Appearantly I do have mail-followup-to set for the postgres lists. That is
> a mistake, since on these lists I actually want the copies because they
> are often slow. I will be fixing that.

For some strange reason, this message from you has Mail-Follow-up-To
Sean Davis and pgsql-novice. I believe your previous one was the same.

> > > You should just be
> > > aware that it is possible to post to the lists without being subscribed
> > > and if you reply to someone who does this using 'l', they won't get
> > > a copy of the response.
> >
> > IIUC, that's where the poster should set his Mail-Follow-Up To: header
>
> No you want to do this if you are on the list. You should be getting replies
> by default if you aren't. The reason you don't want to make people do it
> when they aren't on a list, is that they will have to manually add the
> header (which is a bit error prone) since their client won't know that they
> are sending to a list. When you are on a list you can tell the client once
> (in your .muttrc file for mutt) and then you don't have to futz with it again
> unless you unsubscribe from the list.

There are several options that deal with this. There's the "subscribe"
and "lists" directive, both are somewhat similar but there's a subtle
difference I don't recall just now. I have a "subscribe" directive in
my ~/.muttrc listing all the lists to which I am subscribed.

There are also options "followup_to", "ignore_list_reply_to", and
"reply_to" which all deal with how mutt sends mail and most affect how
it handles replies to messages from lists. I don't have any of these in
my .muttrc