PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

From: Tope Akinniyi <topeakinniyi(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date: 2005-03-09 03:24:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am wondering at this display of extreme Linux mentality being displayed by the 'top bras' of the PostgreSQL community. And I ask, are we encouraging Windows use of PostgreSQL at all?

Take a look at tools being rolled out at PgFoundry on daily basis; all for Linux except the Windows installer. I ask myself what is being done to encourage PostgreSQL Windows users. Nothing is available to them except the Database and PgAdmin. No replication tool, no this, no that.

I was troubled when CommandPrompt, the leading Windows support provider responded to a post that their plPHP is for Linux only.

Sorry for this: Firebird provides equal tools for Linux and Windows users. We are not the one to tell the Windows users whether they need them.

Whether Windows is bad or good; Linux is the angel and Windows the devil is not the issue here. PostgreSQL has gone the Windows way and must not be shown to be deficient.

I am not holding anybody responsible, but I think we need to do a massive re-orientation of the community not to carry the Linux-Windows game too far.

Thanks.

-------
Best regards,

Tope Akinniyi
CEO
ShepherdHill Software
Lagos, Nigeria

Do not forget: Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life.