Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-09 01:55:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:54:03AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:57:51 -0600,
> David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:

> > It just seems so strange to hit "g" (Mutt). I'd get a very strong
> > chastizing for doing this on most lists But.. when in Rome.. :)

> Mutt recognizes mail-followup-to headers. If people on those other lists
> don't want personal copies, they should be adding the mail-followup-to
> header to their posts.

Yes, I've seen this recommended. Also, I think some lists even do this
for you, don't they? I've not bothered to do this setup because I don't
post to lists a great lot and it doesn't bother me to get mail in my
mailbox for these messages.

> If you normally use 'r' to reply on those lists
> their won't be a problem as they are reply-to munged in the first place
> and 'g' will normally just reply to the list (unless there are cc
> recipients listed) in any case.

It may be in setup, but I experimented with this message from you by
doing a reply and "sending" and after inspecting where it's going,
aborting.. anyway. IIRC, this message was To: me and CC: pgsql-novice
and Sean Davis.

"r" would send to you
"L" to psql-novice and and Sean Davis
"g" will be (I believe) To: psql-novice and Sean Davis and CC: you

[Correction as a PS. I did a "g" reply for this reply and it still
skipped you. I can't see the header at this time, but perhaps you have
set your header to do this?]

> If you are used to using 'l' to reply to
> lists, you won't get bothered too much here about.

Again, this may be in my setup, but I _think_ that would skip you (which
is what some lists insist upon).

> You should just be
> aware that it is possible to post to the lists without being subscribed
> and if you reply to someone who does this using 'l', they won't get
> a copy of the response.

IIUC, that's where the poster should set his Mail-Follow-Up To: header

> And that sometimes the lists are running slow,
> and if you are mostly communicating with one other person, sending them
> email directly can speed things up in a back and forth exchange.

Yes, that is a good argument for sending a copy to the sender. There
are times when a list can be down for quite some time.