Re: Error in transaction... Log file

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Kumar S <ps_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error in transaction... Log file
Date: 2005-03-07 03:44:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 06:04:32PM -0800, Kumar S wrote:

> Some how my transactions get aborted every time. I am
> unable to trace the problem due to large number of
> lines.

What do you mean by "a large number of lines"? Are you referring
to output from psql or some other application? If you save that
output to a file then you can search through it for the error that
caused a transaction to fail. If you're using psql then you can
increase the output verbosity with command-line options or by setting
variables -- see the psql documentation for details.

> How can I know the error that lead to abortion of
> transaction. Where Can I find the log file. I am not
> a sys-admin or dbadmin.

What client application are you using? You'll have to check its
documentation to see what it logs and where it stores those logs.

For server-side logging, see "Error Reporting and Logging" in the
"Run-time Configuration" section of the "Server Run-time Environment"
chapter in the documentation; see also your PostgreSQL startup
script. Server output might be going to syslog, it might be
redirected to a file, or both. You'll have to examine your own
configuration to find out where.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/