BUG #1508: Install problem and workaround

From: "Edward Jones" <Edward(dot)Jones(at)dsl(dot)pipex(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1508: Install problem and workaround
Date: 2005-02-26 21:06:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1508
Logged by: Edward Jones
Email address: Edward(dot)Jones(at)dsl(dot)pipex(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.01
Operating system: XP Professional
Details:

Initial attempts at installing Postgres 8.0.1 failed; the server would not
start, saying it could not connect to port 5432.

I run McAfee Internet Security and the problem persisted even after opening
up 5432 in the firewall. However, to fix a separate problem I downloaded and
ran the workaround:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcprmusr.z
ip

to fix a problem with privacy service tool. After setting up and running
this tool on the postgres account the install went fine and I was able to
log into the system.

A couple of other differences I noticed - the automatically created account
was appreaing as .\postgres; my manually created account as postgres. I also
used different passwords for the successful install for the service and the
admin accounts.

Hope this is of some use to someone.