Question on TRUNCATE privleges

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Question on TRUNCATE privleges
Date: 2005-02-22 18:22:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I have just discovered that I can speed up one of my functions by a factor of
600 by changing an unqualified DELETE to a TRUNCATE. Unfortunately, the
function is run by multiple users and I get the error message
"TESTDB=> TRUNCATE inventory.tbl_item;
ERROR: must be owner of relation tbl_item

There is nothing in the documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-truncate.html) about this
restriction ( You see Michael I am still reading the documentation. ;-) ) Do
I get to post my first user comment on the documentation pages? Do I? Hunh?
Can I? :-)

Is there a way to have multiple owners of a table or otherwise achive this
behavior?

Do I get to post my first user comment on the documentation pages? Do I?
Hunh? Hunh? Can I? :-)

Kind Regards,
Keith